Preparation for Breast Thermography
Established patients can simply call to make an appointment for a thermogram. New patients who wish to have thermography are evaluated medically first, before having the test. Other patients may be referred just for a thermogram by their regular physician, to whom we send a report.
Prior to the exam, you will want to avoid activities that can increase the surface blood supply, causing the exam to appear inflammatory and falsely positive.
In order to get the best possible examination, free of artifact, the following are STRONGLY recommended.
1. Sunbathing for 5 days before the exam (possibility of sunburn)
2. Use of creams or lotions the day of the exam (stimulates the skin)
3. Use of deodorants or antiperspirants the day of the exam (stimulates the skin)
4. Physical therapy, EMS, TENS, ultrasound treatment, acupuncture, chiropractic, hot/cold pack use 24 hours prior to the exam
5. Exercise, sexual intercourse, hot baths or showers 24 hours prior to the exam
6. Coffee 24 hours prior to the exam
7. Breast biopsy 3 months prior to the exam
Nursing Mothers – please nurse at least one hour before the exam
Just prior to the exam, you will be escorted to a private room where the exam takes place. At that time, you will be asked to undress from the waist up, and leave your breasts exposed to the air for 15 minutes (to equilibrate to the environment of the room). The breasts will remain exposed during the examination.
All of our thermography staff are female. If you would like someone to be with you during the test, you are welcome to bring that person with you into the exam room.
To read more about breast cancer screening, see Thermography-Breast Cancer Screening in the Library section of our website.
||© Copyright 2007 - 2013. All Rights Reserved. Arizona Center for Advanced Medicine.
Serving the Phoenix metro area including Scottsdale, Mesa, Glendale, Chandler, Tempe,
Paradise Valley, Peoria, Cave Creek, Carefree, Fountain Hills, Ahwatukee, Queen Creek